Jan. 6th, 2012
Some old,some new. Korfy
· "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
· A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."
· "That depends, Sir," said Disraeli , "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."
· "He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr
· "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill
· "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow
· "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).
· "Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas
· "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain
· "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.” - Oscar Wilde
· "I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop
· "He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright
· "I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb
· "He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others." - Samuel Johnson
· "He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating
· "In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand
· "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker
· "Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain
· "His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West
· "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde
· "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
· "He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder
· "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."